Have you heard of ‘slow weekending’? I hadn’t until I came across this lovely piece (The importance of slow weekending) from freelance writer and girl crush Alice Tate. Without naming it that, a slow weekend is exactly what I’ve just had and I couldn’t have needed it more. I’ve walked, I’ve cooked, I’ve listened to a book, I’ve sat without a phone and talked to H and watched a film without any distractions (not always a given, shamefully). I’m not eating sugar at the moment (the Catholic upbringing in me has to give something up for lent! Which is prompting me to have a full, healthy fridge and cook more thought-through meals without relying on sugary snacks to get me through the week/day/hour.
I also have some great pieces coming up on the blog this week, and the next instalment of my ‘So She Did Diaries’ coming soon with a very special woman…
How has your weekend been? I’d love to hear what you’ve been up to. In the meantime, here’s seven things to get you thinking this week.
- Earlier this month Oprah shared the best piece advice she’s ever been given. It was about her legacy and what she leaves behind for others when she’s gone. The advice came from Maya Angelou, who said “Your legacy is every life you’ve touched” and Oprah went on to say “It’s how you use your life to be a light to somebody else’s”. I loved this video for the powerful way it reminded me to behave with kindness every day – our legacy can be found in the simplest acts we do. Oprah Winfrey Says This Is the Best Advice She Ever Heard
- It’s hard to avoid stress, especially when life is throwing curveballs, be it moving house, breaking up, changing jobs and this piece is a really practical way to try and deal with the lemons life throws at us all: 8 Ways to Reduce Stress During Major Life Transitions
- This is apparently the most popular esquire.co.uk story of all time and while I don’t often feature Esquire in my #STOAS posts, I do often share Caitlin Moran’s brilliant words. This piece is absolutely stunning, every woman and man should read it. 12 Things About Being A Woman That Women Won’t Tell You.
- I could pretty much fill every week’s #STOAS with Caitlin’s words, so if you’re not a fan, look away now. Here’s another piece from this month on her cultural highlights which is, incidentally, one of my all-time favourite Guardian columns. On my radar: Caitlin Moran’s cultural highlights
- I am trying to buy less and buy smart when it comes to clothes (more on that this week) so any articles on where to buy sustainable clothes is right up my conscientious street, like this one from Refinery 29. Our Favourite Sustainable Sportswear
- Chrissy gets a lot of press for her Twitter quips and sassy one liners, so this essay in Glamour on her struggle with postpartum depression is a courageous departure for her. I love the open, honest and self-deprecating way she writes. Chrissy Teigen Opens Up for the First Time About Her Postpartum Depression.
- A friend shared this great site with me as I’m planning a return trip to Rome in a few weeks’ time. Little, hidden gems in the most beautiful (and popular) of places. Such a cool idea. Atlas Obscura – All Places in Rome.