If you read last week’s post then you won’t have to guess too hard at the theme of this week’s STOAS. Joy, support and getting back on track.
I’ve had a tough week, and have spent a lot of it feeling quite uncomfortable with my emotions, and just wishing enough time had gone by for ‘time is a healer’ to really come into its own. I feel like I’m pretending every day, and wonder if my Oscar nomination is in the post sometime soon. I believe all the quotes I share but when you’re in it yourself, it’s hard to actually feel it until you’re ready, I suppose. I know I will one day, but until then it’s fucking hard (sorry Mum).
Here are some good things to read this week:
- Simply: this is lovely. A story of a beautiful family Christmas tradition: White Envelope
- This reminds me of my lemonade post, but I prefer its simplicity. Do small things to get yourself out of the heartache, and I love the quote about breakdowns and breakthroughs: How to find joy when life is hard
- Have you read Option B? It’s such a brilliant book about resilience and surviving the seeming impossible. One of the bits of advice I most loved from that book is not to ask someone who is struggling ‘how are you?’ but ‘how are you today?’ instead. It takes the pressure off, and keeps things practical. This piece is similar, but a bit different too: The only thing you need to say to someone who is hurting
- The moral of this one? Bad things don’t have to pervade all parts of your life (another lesson also found in Option B). I just discovered this blog recently, it’s a good find: Never be a prisoner of your past, it was just a lesson not a life sentence
- This doesn’t sound quite like what’s going on for me, but I like the emphasis on making decisions for yourself and putting yourself first in 2018: In 2018 I am going to get over you
- I am very introspective so this was useful! The right way to be introspective (yes there’s a wrong way)
- I made this for my brother recently and ate it for days after. It’s just like the Pret one, which is my nemesis and the ultimate comfort food. Cauliflower and Kale macaroni cheese